Monday, August 11, 2008

John Singer Sargent paintings

John Singer Sargent paintings
Jean-Leon Gerome paintings
Lorenzo Lotto paintings
had not heard the word tutuve before. My translatomat gave it as shrine, sacred enclosure, but had nothing for hali. I went to the library and looked it up in the Encyclopedia of Hennebet. Hali, it said, had been a practice of the people of the Ebbo Peninsula in the previous millennium; also there was a folk dance called halihali.
Mrs. Tattava was standing halfway up the stairs with a rapt expression. I said good day. "Imagine the number of them!" she said.
"Of what?" I asked cautiously.
"The feet," she said, smiling. "One after the other, one after the other. Such a dance! So long a dance!"
After several of these excursions I asked Mrs. Nannattula in a circuitous if Mrs. Tattava was having a problem with her memory. Mrs. Nannattula, chopping greens for the tunum poa, laughed and said, "Oh, she's not all there. Not at all!"

No comments: