Sunday, July 20, 2008

Landscape painting

Landscape painting
Lighthouse paintings
me a widow, and I will tell you why boys/It's not the man, but the marriage that was drowned." Prior to playing the jangly "I'll Never Be Your Maggie May," a song Vega introduced as being a "very loose reply" to the Rod Stewart classic, she joked sarcastically, "This song is fiction. They all are." However, it would be an awfully big coincidence if all the new songs were fiction, given the recurring relationship disintegration theme and the fact that during Vega's five-year hiatus, her marriage to producer Mitchell Froom ended. But the most poignant of the new tracks was "A Song in Red and Grey," written from the perspective of a former lover meeting the man's daughter. A beautiful, moving number, in which Vega sings, "Was I the name you could never pronounce/Or did I even figure at all?/All of this happened before she was born/Did I shadow her pencil marks on the wall," it shows that Vega is ready to recapture her place among music's most thoughtful and articulate artists

No comments: