Monday, June 16, 2008

William Bouguereau Birth of Venus painting

William Bouguereau Birth of Venus painting
William Bouguereau The Virgin with Angels painting
" 'It's all up, Morstan,' he was saying as they passed my hut. 'I shall have to send in my papers. I am a ruined man.'
" 'Nonsense, old chap!' said the other, slapping him upon the shoulder. ~I've had a nasty facer myself. but -- ' That was all I could hear, but it was enough to set me thinking.
"A couple of days later Major Sholto was strolling on the beach: so I took the chance of speaking to him.
" 'I wish to have your advice, Major,' said I.
" 'Well, Small, what is it?' he asked, taking his cheroot from his lips.
" 'I wanted to ask you, sir,' said I, 'who is the proper person to whom hidden treasure should be handed over. I know where half a million worth lies, and, as I cannot use it myself, I thought perhaps the best thing that I could do would be to hand it over to the proper authorities, and then perhaps they would get my sentence shortened for me.'
" 'Half a million, Small?' he gasped, looking hard at me to see if I was in earnest.

No comments: