Monday, June 2, 2008

Guercino paintings

Guercino paintings
Howard Behrens paintings
Henri Fantin-Latour paintings
Horace Vernet paintings
Newland and his wife had had no idea of obeying this injunction; but Mrs. Carfry, with her usual acuteness, had run them down and sent them an invitation to dine; and it was over this invitation that May Archer was wrinkling her brows across the tea and muffins.
``It's all very well for you, Newland; you know them. But I shall feel so shy among a lot of people I've never met. And what shall I wear?''
Newland leaned back in his chair and smiled at her. She looked handsomer and more Diana-like than ever. The moist English air seemed to have deepened the bloom of her cheeks and softened the slight hardness of her virginal features; or else it was simply the inner glow of happiness, shining through like a light under ice.
``Wear, dearest? I thought a trunkful of things had come from Paris last week.''
``Yes, of course. I meant to say that I shan't know which to wear.'' She pouted a little. ``I've never dined out in London; and I don't want to be ridiculous.''
-193-
He tried to enter into her perplexity. ``But don't Englishwomen dress just like everybody else in the evening?''

No comments: